Sunday 8 January 2023

Always look up ……. travels through Ashton-Under-Lyne

Now it is 49 years since I lived in Ashton-Under-Lyne, and apart from a few brief visits back the town has moved on without me.

So, I was very pleased when Andy Robertson sent over a selection of pictures, he took this week of the place.

I am guessing he will have taken the tram, while back in the 1970s I would been on the bus, usually the 218 along the Old Road, but sometimes to vary the scenery, it was its rival the 216.

During the weekends and the long summer holidays we tended to stay put, exploring the pubs along with the town’s history.

But we seldom took time out to admire some of those buildings, and in particular take in the details, like those of the Angel Hotel.

Andy tells me that it was owned by Shaws Brewery which the Labologist’s Society, records, “The brewery had begun as a home brew pub in Ashton under Lyne. In 1865 William Shaw moved to Dukinfiled. 

When William died in 1889, his son, Henry Shaw continued to brew at Dukinfield, and his brother George looked after the Brewery in Leigh. John Smith’s Tadcaster Brewery acquired the business in 1941 when around 60 pubs and off licences were owned.”*

And there for all to see above the entrance is the letter S.

More intriguing is the small insert to the right of the main entrance of the White Horse, with the date 1876 and the inscription “Stamford Park and Nelson Square Success to the Brave”.

Now I am the first to admit that my knowledge of Ashton’s history is sketchy, so as I trawl the records of the town to find a reference to the inscription I welcome advice.

Location; Ashton-Under-Lyne

Pictures; The Angel Hotel and The White Horse, Ashton-Under-Lyne, 2022, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*Shaws Brewery, The Labologist's Society, https://labology.org.uk/?page_id=11805

No comments:

Post a Comment