Sunday 16 March 2014

Finding the history of the Post Office on Facebook and an exhibition at Southern Cemetery

It is a constant pleasure to come across new web sites increase my knowledge of our past.

And by sheer chance I happened on this one on Manchester’s postal history.

Manchester Postal Museum Postal Memorabilia Displays is a facebook site and has a fascinating collection of material ranging from picture postcards from the Great War, to smutty seaside ones and a delightful Italian Christmas card.

David tells me that he has “probably the largest private collection of postal memorabilia/history around! I am setting up my permanent display at the moment in Stockport.”

 In the meantime he already has a display in Southern Cemetery which I am minded to visit.

But for now I will leave you with two of the postcards from the many on the site.  It was a hard choice, but in the end I decided to go with one from the Great War,dated 1915 and sent to Private Joseph Platt from his wife in Oldham and that all too necessary seaside card which evey collection should contain.

We have all sent them, and looking back into the history of the naughty post card it is remarkable how far back they go.

Pictures; from the collection of David Harrop









*Manchester Postal Museum Postal Memorabilia Displays
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Manchester-Postal-Museum-Postal-Memorabilia-Displays/194111227317115

No comments:

Post a Comment