Monday 8 December 2014

Deep in the ground in St Peter’s Square

Now something is stirring in St Peter’s Square and I think it has bit to do with the Second City Crossing.

My friend Sally told me of the hole which has opened up underneath what were the gardens by the Cenotaph and since then a few pictures have appeared on social network including the old tramlines some pipes and bricks and what I reckon will be the crypt of St Peter’s Church which was built in between 1788-94 and demolished in 1907.

I guess that the new lines mean that all the services directly below where the trams will run have to be strengthened or moved and hence the hole in the ground.

But I am also prepared for those who know about these things to correct me and point out that it is to do instead with the new concourse in front of One St Peter’s Square.

And as these things usually work someone will also post the development plans which I have missed.

In the meantime I reckon there might be some fine views down into the old crypt.  I only wish I could go down and ask for one of the old bricks as a souvenir.

This has become of those things I do, and in the last few years have collected handmade 18th century bricks from the gig on Miller Street and from an old fine house here in the township.

All I had with the permission of the people at the sites.

Now I have asked Sally to take a few pictures next time she passed but in the meantime here is the church on September 23 1907, and for those that like detail the first image comes from a glass negative and that chap is standing pretty much where the recent pictures were take.

Picture; St Peter’s Church, 1907, m75252, and the church in the process of being demolished in 1907, m80961, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

No comments:

Post a Comment