Tuesday 9 December 2014

Looking down into that hole in St Peter's Square a century and a bit later

That hole in 2014
Now I have to thank Sally because on a day when the skies threatened to hurl down a mix of snow, sleet and rain she went out of her way to take pictures of that hole in the ground which continues the story from yesterday.*

It is the one in St Peter’s Square and I have been wondering about it ever since Sally told me they were opening up the ground in front of One St Peter’s Square.

I have wanted to go down there to see what the remains of St Peter’s Church which stood on the site from 1794 till it was demolished in 1907.

Looking into that hole in 1907
After all there can be no one left alive who was there when the workmen began back filling sections of the crypt leaving the rest just to be capped over.

According to Sally, "the hole you can see obviously has some of the foundations of the church in it, but I bet the crypt bit is in the other 'ole . I fear you need a taller assistant for this mission!”

I offered our step ladder but Sally had done the business, so here pretty much for the first time in a century and a bit is that hole.

Bricks and the hint of something more, 2014
Of course there may be a few pictures of that spot taken in 1908 when the was Cross erected, or during the erection of the Cenotaph in 1924 but I am confident few will have seen them today.

And judging from the picture of the church being demolished in 1907 Sally must have been standing close to where the chap was peering down into the hole.

And for those who want me to be even more precise I reckon it will be just beside  the pillar.

In front of One St Peter's Square, 2014
That said I bet there will be someone who prove me wrong.

Either way it is near enough to make for a fascinating glimpse into what was and is again.





Pictures; of the hole in 2014 from the collection of Sally Dervan and the church in the process of being demolished in 1907, m80961, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass

*Deep in the ground in St Peter’s Square, http://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/deep-in-ground-in-st-peters-square.html

No comments:

Post a Comment