Thursday 19 October 2017

Of double pillar boxes, gas detecting paint and that new book

Now the double aperture red pillar box is a rare thing.

Chorlton
There are some in London, one in St Ann’s Square and my old friend David Harrop has collected a gold one in Huddersfield and an impressive one near Windsor Castle, while Peter has painted our own double aperture here in Chorlton.

All of which brings me to the dilemma which once upon a time would haunt me, which was to do with posting in the wrong slot on that big pillar box by the Post Office.

Back then, and it wasn’t that long ago, one slot was marked “UK Only” while the other was for the “Rest of the World”.

And I often wondered what happened if you got it wrong?  Would the Milan Central Post Office return my letter to me or send it on to Aunt Edna in Derby and would they add extra postage to cover its return trip?

Not that I ever bothered to ask in the Post Office what would happen if I posted wrongly or for that matter why the policy seems to have changed.

Huddersfield
I can’t say I have come across many of these double pillar boxes.  There was one in St Ann’s Square and I would occasionally come across them in London.

They are according to my friend David Harrop who is an expert on all things posty, “C type pillar boxes.

The first were introduced in London in the 1880s and the double apertures have been used over the years for different destinations.

The ones in London tended to have one slot for London and the other slot for the rest of the country, while more recently one aperture was designated first class and the other second class.

There was a variation which was classified the D type which had a stamp machine on one side and during the last world war some were repainted with a special yellow paint which could detect gas”.

Windsor Castle
David has a vast collection of memorabilia from both world wars and the history of the Post Office, and some of that collection is on permanent exhibition at the Remembrance Lodge in Southern Cemetery.

All of which have been included in our new book on the Quirks of Chorlton which will be out for Christmas and in my opinion will be a wonderful present for a stocking filler.

Location; Chorlton, St Ann’s Square, London, Huddersfield, and Windsor Castle



Painting; Double aperture pillar box, Chorlton, © 2013 Peter Topping, Paintings from Pictures.
Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

Pictures; C type pillar boxes in Huddersfield and Windsor Castle, 2014, from the collection of David Harrop

No comments:

Post a Comment