Wednesday 4 October 2017

What are they planning on Todd Lane? .......... a new series from Andy Robertson

Now, pretty much as long as I can remember when you came out of Victoria Station you were faced with those two dreary buildings directly opposite.

One of the two had been a Post Office and I bet someone will quick as a flash be able to tell me what the other traded in.

That said I can remember the building next to them on Todd Lane which at one time sold flowers and I think was also a Chinese restaurant and night club.

The stubborn side of me refuses to go and look up the historical records, the Local Photographic Collection or  the stories I wrote a few years ago on the said buildings.

Suffice to say that Andy’s first picture shows our property in 1996, and as ever the one to start a new series charting the progress of another city centre development, he was back yesterday with camera in hand.

At which point I should also consult the planning portal to see what Derek the Developer and Beatrice the Builder have in mind for the site.

But as I have already said I am being lazy and while I won’t slide into idle speculation based on the shape of the round rising tower I am intrigued.

I have every confidence that Andy will be back and by then the shape of things to come will be clearer.

Of course someone might beat both of us and having looked up the plans or read the MEN will blast a way through my ramblings and tell us all.

And quick as a flash Stephen sent me a link to an MEN story which confirms the new build as a hotel.

The developers intend renovating the City Buildings nearby "for hotel use."*

So there you have it I knew someone would help.  Thank you Stephen.

Location; Manchester

Pictures; what have they got planned for Todd Lane? 2017, from the collection of Andy Robertson

*Bowmer & Kirkland wins £23 m Hotel Indigo contract in Manchester, December 2, 2016, Charles Schouten, https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/projects/contracts/bk-wins-23m-manchester-hotel-job/10015402.article

4 comments:

  1. The first picture is much more recent than 1996. I remember my one and only visit to 'Snippers' the basement barbers shop next to the post office (same building) about 12 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Peter I shall tell Andy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the night club; it was called El Bossa Nova. I found my old membership card dated 29/7/1967 at the back of a drawer recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magic! Got a picture of the membership card?

    ReplyDelete