Tuesday 24 October 2017

West Point the place largely forgotten


Now I don’t often feature West Point which is a shame really but there is quite a lot here, ranging from the murder of a policeman, a grand old pub, and a small housing estate which was a prototype for Chorltonville.

So here is the first of an occasional series on West Point which is where Manchester Road, Seymour Grove and Upper Chorlton Road meet.

Until recently the eastern corner was dominated by the Seymour Hotel which had once been a private residence.

It was a barn of a place and past its best by the time I sometimes went in there.  Like so many of these big pubs it no longer attracted enough people and was demolished for a block of flats.

Location; West Point circa 1950s

Picture; from the Lloyd collection

4 comments:

  1. I ran a folk club at the Seymour back in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ran a folk club here back in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first husband and I had our Wedding reception in the Seymour. Happy days.

    ReplyDelete