Tuesday 20 June 2023

In Albert Square in June 1932


Now this is not one of the best quality postcards in the collection but it is one of the only ones I have of the Town Hall and Albert Square in the 1930s.

The exact date is a bit in doubt but the image was registered on the catalogue list of Valentine & Sons on June 28th 1932, although it may have been taken earlier.

The company of Valentine & Sons began producing photographic postcards in the early 1860's and continued as an independent company for a century before being taken over in 1963 by John Waddington and later sold on to Hallmark Cards INC of the United States in 1980.*

And as you do I have become more interested in Valentine’s but that is for another time, suffice to say the collection is with the University of St Andrews**

Going back to the Town Hall it is a scene which I pretty much remember from when I arrived in 1969.

Of course the trams had gone, along with the old fashioned taxis and the Town Hall had just been  cleaned up, but otherwise it is a scene that looks familiar enough.

But the space behind Albert was still the taxi rank, and the buildings to the left of the tram were still there, not that I can remember them.

But then I was just 19 and that long old block of grime and smoke covered offices and shops held no special attraction.

Looking back I wish I had taken an interest in them.

Certainly those remaining to the north and south of the square are fine buildings and have adapted well to a new century.

As of course has the Town Hall which is a place I never tire of visiting.

Picture; from the collection of Alan Brown

*University of St Andrews Valentine Collection, University of St Andrews 1999, revised 2010
**http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/imu/imu.php?request=home

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if that underground lavatory was there then?

    ReplyDelete