Sunday 18 June 2023

On Galatas with a Greek war memorial

It stands in the small harbour of Galatas which is opposite the Greek holiday island of Poros.

I was there 40 years ago with Lois and Michael, but to my shame took very little notice of the war memorial.

To be fair it was my first time in Greece and that potent mix of sun, wine and Greek food would always push everything else to one side.

I am sure if I dig deep enough I will find some information on the memorial, which I am guessing commemorates the war for independence along with the two world wars and the conflict with Turkey.

But I bet there will be someone who can put me right.

I wish I had taken more interest in the memorial, and thinking back it is only an accident that it got included in the shot.

Such are the photographs we take on holiday.


We shall see.

Location; Greece











Picture; Galatas, 1981, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment