Wednesday 10 April 2019

Banners I have walked under

I won’t be alone in having walked under a shedload of banners over the years.

Most of the time it was either the Withington, or Moss Side CLP although I do recall losing my group and happily walking with the Woolwich banner which was the first CLP, I joined over 53 years ago.

Along with these there have been a few of those hand made ones, created for a single issue and my own trade union banner.

But as proud as I was of the Manchester NUT one, it never resembled those magnificent ones created by branches of the old craft and manual unions dating back into the 19th century.

Many of these now reside in museums and are carefully looked after having been lovingly restored.

But I have chosen just to remember the ones that I walked under, and on occasion helped cary.

So here are three from the collection.

They are the Withington CLP, which went to London in support of the miners, sometime in 1985, the Manchester City Labour Party banner and the Gorton CLP, which paraded the streets of the city for a a variety of demonstrations, from cuts to public expenditure, cruise missiles and of course in support of the miner's strike.

Location; London & Manchester









Pictures; The Withington and Gorton CLP banners and the banner of Manchester City Labour Party, circa 1980s from the collection of Andrew Simpson




No comments:

Post a Comment