Monday 12 October 2020

No longer lost on the streets of my city in 1968

Now yesterday I had to confess I was lost.  

The problem was a picture of Manchester from 1968, and while my knowledge of the city from that time was pretty good the image stumped me.

After long thought, and some trawling of old maps and street directories I reckoned it was West Mosley Street which was sandwiched between Cooper Street and Mosley Street.

Today I am back on Mosley Street, far surer of myself which is partly because the street name appears on the side of that building and because I recognise that tall glass building which is glimpsed through the space in the buildings and is on Princess Street.

And if further confirmation is required there in the distance is the tall tower at Piccadilly.

Once, West Mosley Street ran all the way from Market Street down to Dickinson Street, crossing Meal Street, York Street, Booth Street and Princess Street.

But over time bits have vanished including our bit near the Town Hall.

The picture come to light through a new project which Neil Simpson tells me is “the Town Hall Photographer's Collection Digitisation Project, which currently is Volunteer led and Volunteer staffed is in the process of taking the 200,000 negatives in the collection dating from 1956 to 2007 and digitising them.

The plan is to gradually make the scanned images available online - initially on the Manchester Local Images Collection Website".*

Location Manchester

Picture; of West Mosley Street, 1968, courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass 

*Neil Simpson, Manchester Local Images Collection Website,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterarchiveplus/sets/72157684413651581


No comments:

Post a Comment