Tuesday 14 September 2021

Travels with a tram …………… the one from Swadlincote

I wasn’t quite prepared for the journey I ended up on when I started searching for the Cutting in Swadlincote.

And it all started with this picture postcard, which is undated, and fell into the collection a few years ago.

At the time I marked it down as a story but not quite yet.

Now as stories go it could have touched on holidays I spent with my grandparents in Derby, which is only 11 miles from Swadlincote.

So, the chances are, I did visit the place but sadly I have no memory of the place of doing so.

And that lead to a trawl of the internet, which threw up various estate agents who were advertising properties in the Cutting, a link to post codes and a hairdresser.

But Swadlincote has a tourist information centre and through them I have a link to a local studies group.*

All of which means that in time I will be able to speak with a degree of authority on the Cutting, Swadlincote and perhaps even the tram.

For now, I am content to reflect on how a picture postcard has the power to send me off in all sorts of directions.

Location; Swadlincote

Picture; The Cutting, Swadlincote, date unknown, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*The Magic Attic, http://www.magicattic.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment