Monday 10 April 2023

Riviera Romagnola …………….. the twisty story

Now I spend part of my day trawling over old picture postcards.

This I do because they are a wonderful source of historical detail and also because they capture a moment.

And I am not alone.

Many picture postcard companies looking for something new will reproduce an old period image, with the hope that a passing holidaymaker will choose it to the shed full of modern photographs.

This Simone and Rosa did back in the July of 2017, when they took a short break from Varese and travelled to the seaside.

The original could have come from anytime between the 1930s and 60s, and as you do I took my clue to postage stamp, and spent a while tracking it down on the internet.

Plenty of similar ones came up, usually for a smaller domination but none offered a date, and to this day I don’t know whether the chap on the stamp is a general, a politician or perhaps even an artist.

But someone from the Italian side of the family will know.

However, I could just have saved myself the search by reading the caption on the reverse which runs, "Riviera Romagnola del tempo andato da una riproduzione del 1930", or, "Riviera Romagnola of the time gone by a reproduction of 1930".

Simone and Rosa were in Rimini, in the region of Emilia-Romagna in the summer of 2017, commenting that “the sun was hot and there was lots of sea”, which is just as it should be.

Rimini, and more especially, Rivabella has always been a favorite holiday destination for the family, and when our children were younger, we too spent time there, always returning to the Baby Hotel on sea front which welcomed us as it did Simone and Rosa, and more than once became the destination of all of us.

The sea at Rivabella is nothing special, but it is and was a wonderful spot for the kids, and a perfect location for us flying in from Manchester and Simone and Rosa driving down from Varese.

And on one magic occasion we were also joined by brothers sisters and friends.

What of course marks the place out is that really it is one long holiday strip, going off in both directions from Rimini, taking in lots of sand, umbrella and hotels all with different names, but all a re a mix of fun and sunshine.

All perhaps a long way from my postcard, so I shall just offer up the added bonus of the fine stamp on the back, which prompted me to include another two stamps, just because I can.

Location; Rimini, circa 1930s and the 2000s

Picture, Riviera Romagnola, circa 1930s

No comments:

Post a Comment