Tuesday 6 April 2021

It’s 1959 ……… and I have no idea where I am

Strictly speaking it’s a silly title, since back in 1959, I was just coming up for my tenth birthday and living in Peckham.

But that said if I had been at this spot sixty-one years ago, it’s not somewhere in Manchester I recognise.

I would guess we are on the east or the north of the city, and this is either the River Irk or the Medlock. 

The clues have to be the higher ground to the right of the picture, with what might be a school, and the railway line which crosses over the river.

I thought we might be on Dantzic Street, or Scotland Street, following the line of the Irk, but I think not, which leaves me none the wiser, and hoping someone out there will be able to cast their memories back a full half century and more and place the location, or use the clues, with maps and modern pictures to solve the puzzle.

Location; somewhere in the city



Pictures; by the water, following the river,  1959, Courtesy of Manchester Archives+ Town Hall Photographers' Collection,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/manchesterarchiveplus/albums/72157684413651581?fbclid=IwAR35NR9v6lzJfkiSsHgHdQyL2CCuQUHuCuVr8xnd403q534MNgY5g1nAZfY  

3 comments:

  1. it could be from pin Mill Brow looking down Lime Kiln Lane the Pub would be the Bridge and the SchoolBank Meadow up on ashton Old Road there is a picture on manchester images looking from Palmerstone St towards the school pub and lane looks very much like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lime Kiln Lane from Pin Mill Brow the School would be Bank Meadow up on Ashton New Road and the Pub The Bridge.there is a picture on Manchester Images looking the oppasite way towards Pin Mill Brow and the Pub.

    ReplyDelete