Friday 2 April 2021

Lost and forgotten streets of Manchester nu 94 ….. Portugal Street

I don’t suppose Portugal Street was ever anything to set the heart beating.

Portugal Street looking north, 2021

It runs parallel to Oldham Road in New Cross, is narrow and forbidding with a big chunk of it bordered on both sides by car parks, and scrap yards.  At one end there is some new build with views of barbed wire and the backs of properties, some of which look to be very old, while at the other end it faces on to Ancoats Green.

It was cut sometime before 1793, and with in a year the entire northern side had been developed.

And by 1851 the south side had also been built over and the street with a mix of industrial units, and terraced housing some of which were back to back and looked out on to closed courts, and for good measure a  branch of the Rochdale Canal terminated at the street end.

Portugal Street, looking north, 2021

So not exactly a street to feature in the 19th century equivalent of House and Home.

Nor was it worthy enough to be included in street directories at the time, and when by 1911 it makes it into Slater’s Directory, of the 81 properties only 10 are mentioned.

That said I was drawn to the entry for 16 & Portugal Street which was occupied by “Simon Robino, mechanical organ maker” who has featured on the blog already.*

Of the other nine, there are a few shop keepers, a coal merchant and a selection of industrial manufacturers including a toy maker.

Portugal Street, facing north, 1962

All of which suggests Portugal Street never really lifted itself out of obscurity, and while there may be photographs f the street dating back into the 19th century, so far most of the  ones I have uncovered date from the 1960s and show scenes which are no more memorable than the ones captured by Andy on a recent visit.

None of which is surprising, as the residents of our street were never going to move amongst the circles of the great and good of Manchester’s social circle.

In 1851 the annual rents for the properties varied from £7 down to £2, and given that what you got was what you paid for, we can be pretty confident that it wouldn’t amount too much.

Portugal Street, 1849

But there are plans a foot to lift the street.  When I was last down there in November of 2020, the plot on the corner with Poland Street, stretching back to the main road had been developed with a new block which incorporated the  frontage of the old Refuge Assurance Building at 180 & 182 Oldham Road.**

And the year before an exciting volunteer project had begun to improve Ancoats Green.***

So maybe after two centuries and more  something is happening to Portugal Street.


Portugal Street, 1907

After all many of its terraced properties were well past their sell by date by the beginning of the last century.

Location, New Cross

Pictures;  Portugal Street, 2021, from the collection of Andy Robertson, Portugal Street facing north, 1962, T. Brooks, m10415a, Portugal Street & No. 3 Prussia Street, near Oldham Road, 1907, Jackson, J, m10411courtesy of Manchester Libraries, Information and Archives, Manchester City Council, http://images.manchester.gov.uk/index.php?session=pass Portugal Street in 1849, from the OS map of Manchester & Salford, 1849, courtesy of Digital Archives Association, http://digitalarchives.co.uk/ 

*A story that has yet to have a conclusion... Simon Robino from Italy, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.com/2015/06/a-story-that-has-yet-to-have-conclusion.html

**New for old ……. Oldham Street

*** Volunteers transform Ancoats park to create community space for all residents, Maya Black, January 21st, 2019, MEN, https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/in-your-area/volunteers-transform-ancoats-park-create-15710129

7 comments:

  1. Really glad I found your blog. I've always had a fascination with the rapidly dissappearing old face of Manchester, and by pure coincidence I was looking at Google Maps and the odd names of some of the streets in Ancoats. It was Gun Street which brought me to your blog. I imagine it was where gun smiths may have once been situated. I'm originally from Manchester and now live on the south coast so I haven't been back for a while, but it always saddens me to see how much of the old city I remember is slowly being eaten up by new tower blocks, car parks and steets of identikit shops. I'm probably now going to spend the rest of the day reading your blog - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really glad I found your blog. I've always had a fascination with the rapidly dissappearing old face of Manchester, and by pure coincidence I was looking at Google Maps and the odd names of some of the streets in Ancoats. It was Gun Street which brought me to your blog. I imagine it was where gun smiths may have once been situated. I'm originally from Manchester and now live on the south coast so I haven't been back for a while, but it always saddens me to see how much of the old city I remember is slowly being eaten up by new tower blocks, car parks and steets of identikit shops. I'm probably now going to spend the rest of the day reading your blog - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,
    I found a Census record for 98 Portugal St (1939) which was my uncle John's residence. What is new is that he had one Harry Salmon, 79, living with the family. My mum told the story that my grandad's family changed their name from Salmon to Smith to anglicize it after the Jewish persecution. This is the first documentary evidence of the name Salmon that I have come across - all other records being for Smiths as you might expect. Have you seen any references to the name Salmon? Best, Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fascinating ... I haven't but will go looking.

      Delete
    2. ps i'm also told that Salmon is also already anglicized, apparently, so I've been advised to look for a more likely sounding one, Solomon, Solomons, Solow, Smilowitz, Smilowitz
      Smolar, Smolenski, Smolensky, Smolin, Smolinsky (off internet). I'd appreciate any help from any readers who could possibly throw any light...

      Delete
  4. Thank you. I've just been told that officials were obviously sensitive about names for the 1939 census and that my grandfather may have been told to use his birthname whether he or his family had or had not changed it. All references whether Salmon or Smith show 'fruit salesman' or 'fruit porter' as occupation, so that may be another lead. The family lived all the area, Bengal Street, Ravald Street, and Cheetham Hill would have been close by - and the various fruit and other markets. I'm now on a mission to find evidence (or even hearsay, :-)...

    ReplyDelete