Wednesday 21 April 2021

An ex-Police Station and a gunsmiths ……….. Cheadle Hulme

Now,  Andy didn’t elaborate on the connection, and so I will leave that to the imagination and perhaps the curiosity of a reader to dive into the story of both.


Andy tells me that “Cheadle Hulme Police Station was built in 1911/12, with quarters for a married sergeant and three cells”.

It is the first Cheshire police station I have come across, and it differs to those erected by Lancashire which relied heavily on stone to face the front of the building or the more utilitarian ones built by Manchester City Council in the late 19th and early 20th century.

But I am confident that Andy will offer up more examples in the near future.

For now, I shall just say that it stands on Station Road, just round the corner from the gunsmiths which was established in 1968 and has its own facebook page.


Opposite the shop is the war memorial, and by one of those odd twists of coincidence, back in 1972 I commuted in to Cheadle Hulme every week day for three months doing a teaching practice at the Direct Grant Grammar School, which to this day seems a bizarre experience given that I attended a secondary modern school.

Not that my route took me past the police station or the gunsmiths, and after a fruitless twenty minutes with google maps I gave up my search for the route I took from the railway station.

But like all things it will come back.



Location; Cheadle Hulme




Pictures; Cheadle Hulme, 2021, from the collection of Andy Robertson


No comments:

Post a Comment