Sunday 11 December 2022

The Bella Napoli on Kennedy Street ............ where we learned to love pizza

Now I won’t be alone in having fond memories of the Bella Napoli on Kennedy Street.

Neapolitan pizza, 2017
It opened in 1973 just three years after the Isola Bella and we were there pretty much from the beginning, and carried on going throughout the 1970s.

Since then I have eaten pizza in Naples, tried the Metre Pizza, sampled Bob Amato’s special from his wood burning oven in the garden, and regularly bought slices from the Chinese takeaway in Varese.*

But it was at the Bella Napoli that I had my first pizza.

Back then it tended always to be the quattro stagioni, accompanied by a glass of wine and followed by chocolate ice cream.

I can’t remember how we came across, it probably on one of our wanders around town, and it was our place, which we shared with family and friends but remained “our place.”

It was situated on the corner of Kennedy Street and Clarence Street, you entered by a small door beside which was that illuminated glass window made up of the bottoms of wine bottles.

You went down a flight of stairs where there were a dozen tables with red table tablecloths, and a bar with I think the oven beyond that.

At the back was the entrance to the lavatories which were shared with the Isola Bella and above you there were a set of large pipes which I always assumed were to do with the ventilation.

The other end of Kennedy Street, 2017
The menu came on a large piece of white card with a picture of Vesuvius and list of half a dozen pizzas.

It was simple, cheap and friendly.

Once when I was with a works colleague who was a linguist and attempting to show off his Italian he spent a full five minutes conversing with the waiter in Italian only to discover the waiter was Spanish.

Such are the silly moments that stick in your memory and despite these and many other memories I have no pictures of either the outside or the interior.

But someone will, and in the fullness of time I hope will share them.

And it was while I was browsing the net for pictures that I came across an article from the Manchester Evening News recording the death of the owner of the Bella Napoli.

And from the Pizzeria I Decumani****
This was Evandro Barbieri who arrived in Manchester from Milan in 1958 aged 21.  He began work as a waiter in the Midland Hotel and in 1970 opened the Isola Bella, followed by a series of other Italian restaurants.**

If I look hard enough I will I suppose find out when it closed but that won’t do anything for my memories, so I don’t think I will bother.

Instead I shall think also of the cannelloni which in those red and cream ceramic dishes,and which if you weren't careful was so hot it burned your mouth.

Later long after the Bella Napoli had gone we would take each of the older kids for a special birthday meal at an Italian restaurant, each had their own favourite.

For Ben it was the Isola Bella, for Josh Bella Italia and for Saul that one on the corner of Deansgate and Blackfriars Street.

It's pity they couldn't have shared Bella Napoli.

Location; Manchester

Picture; Naples in 2017 from the collection of Saul Simpson, Kennedy Street, 2017 courtesy of Andy Robertson and a pizza from the Pizzeria I Decumani


*Pizza, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Pizza

**Tributes to Italian pioneer 'who brought pizza to Manchester', Todd Fitzgerald, December 14 2012, updated January 24 2013, http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/tributes-to-italian-pioneer-who-brought-698919

****Pizzeria I Decumani, Via dei Tribunali, 58 80138 Napoli Italy‎ +39 081 557 1309

15 comments:

  1. I used to be a chef there for several years, best boss I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked there! I was one of the chefs when it opened. Myself, Mario Vindice, a chef named Nino. They made the pizzas, I was on pasta. There was a fourth, also on pasta but I cannot recall the name but John from the Isola Bella came through and helped sometimes. Head waiter Marcello Giannini was a true friend to me. Still missed. Evandro was a wonderful boss. I was there from opening, I think around easter 1973 until I went to work in a hotel in London in May 1974. Fond memories. Others I remember, Guido who came in later and made desserts, waiters Mauro, waitrresses Bianca Rigoni anda french girl, possibly Marie-Claude? not sure if that is right. Carlo - Carletto - Giametri was a waiter and good friend. There is a hotel spa above the old Bella Napoli premises now.

      Delete
    2. Linda weaver (Harrop)8 November 2023 at 02:35

      I absolutely loved these two restaurants..the best pizza s I have ever tasted .the service was fantastic and I remember the atmosphere it really was such a pleasure to be in there I will never forget ..thankyou for the memories .xxxx

      Delete
    3. My father worked in the kitchen there - Domingo Gonzalez if you remember him?

      Delete
  2. The restaurant served the best pizza and black forest gateau I have ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pizza followed by the Chocolate Ice Cream. My boyfriend (now husband) took me there on about our second date. I'd never had Pizza before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked for Evandro for around 6 years, we worked in a warehouse kitchen producing the cream cakes, bread, ice cream for all three restaurants in Manchester. The Bella Napoli, Isola Bella and the Pizzeria Italia. I have to say he was a wonderful boss, I have only seen now that he passed some years ago. I made a cake for his Daughters wedding I think it was. My name is Frank Houiellebecq. I worked with Guido who was an excellent pastry chef. Wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum Augusta da Silva was the kitchen porter for Isola Bela for many years, working for Evandro barbero, Pino, Victor and many more hard working Italians which I cant remember. My mum has sadly passed away now but I love to reminisce with my child hood memories. Evandro always gave me the most amazing ice cream when I was little!! Weird what memories stay in your mind!! Whilst searching the net for a nice place to celebrate my daughters 30th I found out Evandro had sadly passed away. I see the Avalanche is where Isol bela started...who knows I may choose that venue as it's where my mum started her working career in Manchester. Thank you for sharing. Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. I only came across this article this morning. Evandro Barbieri was my dad. In December it will be 10 years since he passed away. He’s still very much missed . Comments like this make me very proud. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you ... I rather think my wife worked for him in the 1990s.

      Delete
    2. I worked for Evandro when they opened The Bella Napoli - he was always very considerate and kind. When he wanted pasta carbonara he would request I make it as I put it together really quickly without spoiling the cream. I was there from pre-opening - around March/April 1973 - until I moved to London in May 1974 - and Evandro offered me a pay rise to stay. He got rid of a chef who was a bully and brought in Guido, who had a lovely nature.

      Delete
  7. Avandro was head barman in the King Cotton bar at the Hotel Piccadilly. He left and opened the Isolla Bella then the Bella Napoli before the coffe shop opposite the Isolla Bella and various other establishments. He was a fantastic guy and I am so sorry to hear of his death

    ReplyDelete