Tuesday 15 August 2023

Looking for the man behind the book .......... Mr Jefferson and The Woolwich Story

Now I have become fascinated by Mr Jefferson who wrote a history of Woolwich which was published in 1970.

Woolwich in the 1940s
So far all I l know is that he lived in Eltham from the 1920s and was President of the Woolwich and District Antiquarian Society.

He may have been a teacher and certainly the style of his book suggests someone who was easy at communicating complicated and detailed stories of the past in a simple and direct way.

But I have made a start by joining the Woolwich and District Antiquarian Society which at £10 is a small price to pay for an entry into such an august body.

And that really for now is all I have to say other than if there is anyone who knew Mr Jefferson or has some information on him I would love to hear from them.
In the meantime I shall go and ask the Eltham Society who may also be able to help.

Location; Woolwich & Eltham

Pictures; Woolwich circa 1930s-50s, courtesy of Steve Bardrick.

2 comments:

  1. About 40 years ago I needed to have some sales material bound in a hurry. My office was in New York & I was in South London! The gent that I found was somewhere in the Woolwich area in a rickety workshop. He was Mr. Jefferson - I guess that as he was getting on a bit he was the brother of your Mr.Jefferson but may have been his son. My man's brother was Sir George Jefferson who became the first Chairman of British Telecom. George died in 2012 age 91. Here's a bit of his obituary, "Born in Kent, Jefferson was educated at Dartford grammar school, leaving at 16 to become an engineering apprentice at the Royal Ordnance factory in Woolwich, south-east London."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I studied Jeffersons predecessor ( Vincent ) for many years .. and I too joined the WDAS to help my research , but I was disappointed to find that they were not a society that studied Woolwich history ... but general history anywhere and everywhere ... But I was able to get some good research on Vincent from their early annual records ..

    ReplyDelete