Tuesday 30 January 2024

Walking the Thames

Now I am the first to admit it’s a bit of a silly title but that is exactly what my friend Neil did, once under the river at Woolwich and then again at Greenwich.

It’s not my chosen way of leaving Woolwich for that other place, but Neil had never seen either of the foot tunnels and so it was an adventure.

I have to say that these are adventures I no longer want to do.

I prefer the ferry where I can see where I am going and know that the water is below me and not above me.

I still have vivid memories of that old illuminated sign at the Wapping and Rotherhithe  Underground Stations  announcing  “Men working on Pumps” when I used the Tube regularly in the 1960s to know that over is better than under, a feeling enhanced by one visit to Easington Colliery.

Kay’s father who was Chief Mechanical Engineer at the pit thought I would be interested in seeing how generations of the Baxter family had made their living.

There was no way I could say no to my future father in law, although a mile down and three miles out under the North Sea I wish I had done so.

I last walked the walk when I was ten and have never done the journey since.
I do remember it was exciting.

The floor slowly sloped down there was that echoing sound of your footsteps and the point where the other exist came into view.

So that is it.  I have thanked Neil for his pictures, which have made me a tad homesick but not enough to do that walk.

Location; London

Pictures, the foot tunnels, April 2017 from the collection of Neil Simpson

3 comments:

  1. My Mum and Dad did most of their courting in the tunnel, mum lived north Woolwich and Dad in Plumstead. They married in 1928 for 52 years till Dad died.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post. The Greenwich foot tunnel is my favourite place to go when I visit Greenwich. I insist on talking all my visitors through it - including some Californians just last Christmas - whether they want to or not! I think it is a marvellous feat of engineering. As a child the part that was "reinforced" as a result of World War II damage always scared me! I can remember walking through Blackwall Tunnel when I was small. I cycled through Rotherhithe Tunnel when I was in my late 20's - one of the most frightening experiences of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went through there lately lifts not working so a lot of stairs both ways .

    ReplyDelete