Thursday 18 August 2022

A new history of Chorlton in just 20 objects number 6, the Garden Village 1911

Today I have chosen the Chorltonville booklet which was issued soon after the estate was opened on October 7 1911. It is a fascinating little publication which was subtitled A Garden Village of Better Planned Houses, and set out to show “how GOOD HOUSES could be built without philanthropy, and how an ESTATE could be developed on SOUND COMMERCIAL PRINCIPLES." The village was part of that Garden Suburb idea and aimed to provide decent affordable homes in pleasant surroundings. So the booklet offers pictures of properties, the facilities available and comments from both residents and the press.  All of which make it a fascinating piece of history.

Picture; front cover of Chorltonville, November 1912

4 comments:

  1. I was fascinated when I saw this on a post some years ago. I copied the 1st page, double clicked and there appeared page 2... I have it all copied and pasted and printed and bound. One of my treasures that will have no interest to anyone else after I am gone. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The same company/people were to create Polefield Hall Garden City in Prestwich. Some houses were built (present day 'Perrymead') but the war stopped any more development. Council houses were built on it some years later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can I access a copy of this booklet. I lived in chorltonville from about 1959-1975 and would to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You could try contacting the Residents Association, http://www.chorltonville.org/

    ReplyDelete