Sunday 19 February 2023

The lost Eltham & Woolwich pictures ...... no.1 Beresford Square

A short series on the pictures of Eltham and Woolwich in 1976.

Now they had been lost for almost four decades, carefully placed away in our cellar and pretty much forgotten.

Back in the mid 1970s I regularly wandered out from our house on Well Hall Road across Eltham and Woolwich taking photographs of everything I saw.

The negatives along with many of the prints were lost a long time ago, but I always took a second set of pictures using slide film and it is these that have come to light.
They were shot using Agfa film and my old friend Peter Topping transferred them electronically, so here after forty one years are scenes from Eltham and Woolwich.

The colour has that bluey tone that Agfar film sometimes gave and I grant you that the image is not always as sharp as I would have liked, but that said they are I think a record of what we have lost.

Location; Woolwich

Picture; the market, Woolwich, circa 1976, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

8 comments:

  1. the market now is terrible, such a shame, I remember the tram turntable here. my mum and I used to meet dad here with a can of tea, he drove the 46 tram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bob where exactly was that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked in Spray Street and visited the market every lunchtime. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These photos certainly brought back some memories of my childhood and teenage years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up, we were always in town. Market was thriving and sold everything. The covered market also. I remember a stall just inside the market where you could have your feet measured and shoes made to order.
    Visited today up from a Devon. Unrecognisable. What a shame. Let’s hope the area picks up again with the new transport links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to the Woolwich Poly School. What I remember is the guy who sold wonder pills that cured every thing, he had a first class act that kept a good crowd around him, very entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Went there every Saturday with my Gran xx❤️

    ReplyDelete