Sunday 3 March 2024

Greenwich Park, and a moment a full 45 years ago .......... nu 3 the Town Hall

It will be a full 53 years ago but the memory of that walk through Greenwich Park on a Saturday in September 1971 has never left me.

I was in my second year at Manchester Poly and the pull of Well Hall and the family were still strong and so
I found myself back home with three friends.

It was a brief stay and most of it is a blur except for the walk from the gates on the Blackheath side through the park to Wolf’s statue, the Observatory and that view down to the river.

I can't remember but I am sure I would have shown them the Town Hall, the Maritime Museum and of course the foot tunnel but the rest of the day and the weekend are lost to me.

That said because the Kings Arms in Eltham had been my local we would have passed Saturday in there.

All of which just leaves me to reflect on the postcard which was marketed in the USA and carried the imprint of the American YMCA of which there must be a story, but not for now.

Location; Greenwich

Picture; Greenwich Park, 1905 from the series Greenwich, marketed in 1911-12 by Tuck & Sons, courtesy of Tuck DB, https://tuckdb.org/

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the Clarendon hotel lobby now looking directly across Blackheath towards to very gates you are talking about.

    ReplyDelete