Wednesday 27 January 2021

Stories from the cellar ...... part 8 ........ getting around the capital in 1965

It’s odd what you come across while looking for that thing you put away, because you knew that one day it would come in handy.


Of course, I never found the thing, but instead uncovered another folder full of family memories.

This one I guess belonged to dad, after all he was a coach driver, but it might equally have been me.

Although as I was only 14, I doubt I would have been using it for its intended purpose as a road map.

But despite the passage of half a century and more I remember it vividly, not least because of those old red London Transport buses, and the Bank of England in the background,  which was one of those places I would stumble across on a Saturday, when I had taken myself off for a wander around the City.

So, having done the nostalgia bit, I looked more carefully at the map, and marveled at the small number of traffic  signs displayed on the back of the map, and just to what extent the road network is still as it was back in 1965.

As treasures go it still  wouldn’t bring a fortune if I ever wanted to put it for sale.

But it remains a nice piece of history, complete with the old Underground map, and the “Theatres, Concert and Exhibition Halls and Cinemas outside the Area of the West End”.

Not bad for a rummage in the cellar on another lockdown day.

Location; London













Picture; Road Map London, Section 1, Esso, 1966

1 comment:

  1. I love these old road maps especially when they have a great cover like this one!

    ReplyDelete