Thursday 28 January 2021

Pictures with no stories ……. the young married woman

I am looking at an unknown woman whose identity I guess I will never know.


She stares back at me in a studio portrait but offers little in the way of information.


I know she was married and someone will be able to help date the picture by how she is dressed.

And that seems to be that.

For now I know only that the photographic studio was Van Ralty who had premises at 35, and 92 London Road, as well as 91 Oldham Street, as well as in Liverpool, Oldham, Nottingham, Bolton and Sheffield.

The information on the reverse of the photograph proudly announces the addresses of its “Northern Branches”, but I have yet to locate any in London or the south.

Nor can I be sure just exactly which studios took the picture.  

Nether of the Manchester branches were operating in 1909, although both are listed two years later, and one source suggests that trade directories list the firm trading from 1915 through to 1929, while another cites a family photograph taken in Liverpool in 1941.

So, the jury is still out.

Someone I am sure will offer up some information, but until then our woman is pretty much a picture without a story.

Location; somewhere

Picture; unknown woman, from the Van Ralty, date unknown, from the collection of Ron Stubley

 

No comments:

Post a Comment