Monday 4 May 2020

Eltham Library ………less a story …….. more the appeal

Now we all have fond memories of Eltham Library, where many of us first discovered the joy of being able to get books for free, each week, and sometimes every few days, which later also became LPs, and art work.

It was also where our Stella worked through the 1970s into the 80s.

So I was intrigued when Bob Ives, asked me “Andrew. I have been trying for a few years to discover what has happened to the foundation stone from Eltham library. 

When I was a child I went to school at St Mary’s almost opposite the library. 

I was always fascinated by the stone which was in the wall on the right side of the library, the alley is now called sun yard. 
I saw this stone for many years until I left Eltham In 1974. 

I cannot find any reference to it anywhere, could you help?

Several people have commented that they remember the stone”.

And yes I do to ………. So the appeal is out

Location; Eltham Library


Pictures; Well Hall Road, & Eltham Library, 2014 from the collection of Chrissy Rose

3 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I didn't know this one. Wonderful facade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I do not recall either, but keep the hunt going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If this picture showed more on the right side the stone would be visible.

    ReplyDelete