Saturday 2 May 2020

Of books, billiards and Penny Readings on Burton Road

I have to say with a bit of shame that I passed this building countless times over the last four decades and never gave it much thought.

It is Withington Public Hall and Institute, and the date on the brickwork is 1861.

 It was the gift of Lord Egerton, it contained a library of 1,000 books, was licensed as a club in 1906, was well known for its billiard tournaments in the 1880s and ran Penny Readings.

It remains a private club and I have pondered on how you apply to join.

But to be fair given that I live in Chorlton it does seem I might be judged an interloper.

But one who didn't was Maureen who sent a link to another Withington site with some superb pictures of the interior.**

All of which leaves me wondering what happened to all the books.

Location; Withington

Picture; Withington Public Hall and Institute, 2019, courtesy of Allen John

*A History of Withington K Whittaker, page 24

**Withington Public Hall and Institute, https://sites.google.com/site/withingtonhistory/publichall?fbclid=IwAR3714MGy2hCD_CtZ-sJq6tbGvPTbYybu4aRU2dOreL5I2rBVBycVYbrQIk

1 comment:

  1. I think it closed earlier this year, it was used last week as a 'pop up' pub but believe it's still closed

    ReplyDelete