Wednesday 27 July 2022

A little bit of Turog in Irlam ....... gone but not forgotten

 Now if you are of a certain age and come from the North, the name Turog will instantly conjure up loaves of brown bread.

The flour for the bread was made by Spillers who then sold it on  to bakers who were licensed to make Turog bread, which Spillers promoted by advertising.

And plenty of those adverts still abound across the Greater Manchester and Yorkshire.

So, it isn’t too surprising that Andy came across his ghost sign for the bread.

I say ghost sign because production seems to have ceased a long time ago, although just when I have yet to find out.

Some sources vaguely refer to the 1960s, but it could be later, and might have coincided with a take over of Spillers by Dalgety plc in 1979 who sold the bakery side of the business to Allied Bakery.

But like all these things I am confident someone will tell me.

All of which left its rival Hovis to carry on offering up a type of brown bread made in the same way as Turog.

Location; Irlam

Picture; Turog ghost sign, Irlam, 2022, from the collection of Andy Robertson


4 comments:

  1. It was continuing into the early 1970s. My aunty used to remark that it was really good , she used to buy it in Hull. I presume then that it was milled at the Spillers mill in Hull.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was H & L Taxis for years sadly it became derelict for years. I believe the Estate Agent Oliver James has bought the complex & is in the process of refurbishment

    ReplyDelete
  3. barry@ajrmail.co.uk27 July 2022 at 19:26

    I could draw you a sketch of the top of TUROG loaves now. It was my job to get the weekly order and carry it home from Marsden's shop, Market Place Swinton. There was no crust left when I got home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Turog well, and the raised gold signs that advertised it. I'm from north east Lancs and I think Turog was sold mainly in the North. My understanding is that production ceased sometime in the sixties. I have two Turog tins that produce loaves with Turog raised on their sides. I have found an actual recipe for Turog, which includes black treacle. I'm going to make it tomorrow. Does anyone know where the name comes from?

    ReplyDelete