Thursday 14 July 2022

July in the city …. a window, the posh inscription, and a bit of the doors

Now, I have passed this bit of Spring Gardens countless times over the last five decades and never noticed the detail.


On the day I did, three office workers were having a cigarette break just to the left and nearly become part of the picture, but they didn’t.

My Pevsner tells me that 43 & 45 Spring Gardens, that it dates from “1888-90 was the premise of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Bank, by Heathcote and Rawle …. The huge and splendid banking hall with twin saucer domes, polished granite columns and marble lined walls, retained some of the original furnishings, such as the customer writing cubicles on the left side, when converted into a pub.” *

The entrance at number 45 is I must admit the poor relation compared to its more impressive neighbour at 43.

But then I didn’t have the gumption to take a second picture.

Location; Spring Gardens, Manchester

Picture; A window, the posh inscription, and a bit of the doors, 2022, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

*Manchester, Clare Hartwell, Pevsner Architectural Guides, 2001

No comments:

Post a Comment