Monday 25 July 2022

Painting Well Hall and Eltham ........ nu 9 ........ catching the tram*

Now I know route number 40 never went through Well Hall

We had  routes 44 and 46, but this one is close enough.

It ran via the Old Kent Road and Westminster to the Embankment.

But it is special because it was one of the trams I might just have caught had I been old enough, given that we once lived close to the Old Kent Road.

And knowing how special LCC 1622 was to me, Peter offered to paint it from a picture taken back in 2015 by Andy Robertson.

At which point I could go into great detail on the story of the Woolwich and Eltham trams, but I won't.

Instead I will merely say that when the Government settled on Well Hall for its huge housing estate for the Arsenal workers in 1915 our tram network had already been in place for five years and following the Great War the network was extended to Lee, Lewisham and London.

Which I think neatly gets in a bit of Well Hall’s history alongside my tram and leave me just to correct the story, because Sonia tells me that that the "72 tram went to New Cross through Well Hall all along Westhorne."

Location; London

Painting; LCC tram 1622 © 2016 Peter Topping from a photograph by Andy Robertson, 2015.

Web: www.paintingsfrompictures.co.uk

Facebook: Paintings from Picture,s https://www.facebook.com/paintingsfrompictures

*Painting Well Hall and Eltham, https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/Painting%20Well%20Hall%20and%20

No comments:

Post a Comment