Tuesday 28 November 2023

Don't grieve for me Tom Mix .... I remember you only as Hanburys

So, farewell

2023
That place on Barlow Moor Road.

To me you will always be Hanburys,

But for those newcomers you were just the Co-op

And for those whose memories stretch back beyond 1970,

You were Radio Rentals, Tesco and of course the Palais De Luxe.

I missed your glory days as the cinema of dreams

And while some have over the years called you

The Bug Hut, and Nitty Nora’s Home from Home

You were our first true picture house,

Opened in 1914 and lasted a few short decades,

Till television and a night in front of the box

1928

Finished you off.

I owe you this last picture from Peter Topping

Who snapped you on November 25th

And if now I wandered up to see you

1980s
I fear you will have gone,

Leaving only a pile of twisted girders, broken concrete

And heaps of celluloid memories.

As for those who ask what next?

I offer up  a link to the Planning Portal*

Where all will be revealed.

Location Barlow Moor Road

Pictures; Goodbye to my cinema dreams, 2023, Peter Topping, The Palais De Luxe cinema, circa 1928, Charles Ireland, GD10-07-04-6-13-01 courtesy of East Dunbartonshire Archives, Hanburys shopping bag, 1980s, courtesy of Catherine Brownhill, 

*097667/FO/2011/S1, Erection of a part 3/part four storey building to form a commercial use on the ground floor and 13 self-contained flats above, with associated car parking (5 spaces) and cycle storage, following demolition of existing property, Manchester City Council Planning Portal, https://pa.manchester.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=LTKO3CBC06N00&activeTab=summary

1 comment:

  1. I saw Bela Lugosi's "Dracula" at the Palais in 1958 when aged 14. You had to be 16 to watch "X" catagory films in those days, but the Palais was going downhill at the time, and they would let anyone in who had the price of admission. And 40 years later my wife Sandra worked on the check-out at Hanburys, where members of staff took turns to watch for shoplifters through the hole where the film projecter used to be.

    ReplyDelete