Monday 27 November 2023

When they closed that place in Stretford ………

There will be many ways to remember that place on Great Stone Road in Stretford.

For some it will magic musical nights when this was The Hard Rock, for others an introduction to 10 Pin Bowling and others of a mature age that emporium of paint, wall paper, and rotating screwheads.

And despite once being young and recalling the lit-up pylon of Hard Rock it was wandering the aisle for all things D.I.Y. and house plants.

So in recognition of Stretford’s B&Q here are a few of Andy Robertson’s pictures from 2016  as the store moved to its demise.


They follow on from some of Andy’s more recent photographs charting the demolition of the building which will live on in the memories of teenage bowling fans, music aficionados and Eric and his Black and Decker drill and pasting trestle.















Location; Great Stone Road

Pictures, Goodbye B&Q, 2016, from the collection of Andy Robertson

2 comments:

  1. I first went there when it was a bowling alley - useless, I could hardly lift the balls; next to see Curved Air when it was the Hardrock in Oct '72; then when it was the Village Disco after we'd all had our last day at St Bede's - all my mates piled in OK, but the bouncer wouldn't believe I was 18, I had to get him to phone my mum to vouch for me. Not surprising really, I looked about 12. And then, of course, 40 years later when visiting Manchester to get light bulbs etc for my mum.

    ReplyDelete