Sunday 5 November 2023

The mystery cuts in stone at the end of the Old Road ........ walking Chorlton in the 1760s

Now anyone who walks the Old Road which meanders on the edge of Turn Moss will know that eventually you will reach the Cut Hole Aqueduct which takes the Duke's Canal over the Kickety Brook.

The mark of the mason, circa 1760s
The aqueduct was built in the 1760s and any one taking the Old Road would have gone under its arches on their way to Stretford, ending up at the Cock Inn and the Pump.

At which point I have to confess that the Old Road is my name for what has variously been known as Hawthorn Lane and Back Lane, but given that this is a very old thoroughfare I shall continue to call it the Old Road.

What I had never spotted on the stonework were the mason’s marks, which have a history going back beyond the Middle Ages.

Left in stone, circa 1760s
I have no idea just what they mean, but I know someone will, and my fascination is shared by my old friend David Bishop who photographed them and passed them onto me.

And never one to miss an opportunity of a story here they are.

David has promised me more and I wait with impatience.

Of course given all the controversy “over that plan” for Turn Moss I rather think plenty of people will also be interested.

The Old Road and aqueduct, 1854
All of which leaves me to add this 1854  map of the Old Road as it reaches the aqueduct, pointing also to the weir which was built in the 18th century to slow down flood water from the Mersey flowing fast to the Duke’s Canal and damaging it.

The weir was badly damaged in the 1840s and had to be rebuilt, after which it continued to protect the aqueduct and the canal until the last serious flood in 1915.

Location; The Old Road

Pictures; mason’s marks on the stone of Cut Hole Aqueduct, 2018 courtesy of David Bishop, and the Old Road from the 1854 OS for Lancashire, courtesy of Digital Archives Association, http://digitalarchives.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment