Sunday 6 August 2017

At Victoria Station ............... today and everyday ....... remembering the Great War

I am pleased at the way the authorities have imaginatively treated the archway at Victoria Station through which thousands of men passed on their way to the battlefields of the Great War.

For years the arch stood slightly neglected, first with a set of closed doors and later if I remember correctly a small gate.

And on busy commuter days I doubt that many people gave much time to the plaque commemorating the “MEMORY OF THE MANY THOUSANDS OF MEN WHO PASSED THROUGH THIS DOOR TO THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919 AND OF THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN."

Not having been in Victoria Station for a while I had no idea at what had been done to the arch and I have my old friend David Harrop to thank for taking the pictures and posting them on his facebook sites.

And I have to agree with his comment on how “nice a way these memorials are looked after.”

Added to which the simple glass wall listing the battlefields and the casualties restores the significance of the entrance.


Pictures; Victoria Station, 2015 courtesy of David Harrop

No comments:

Post a Comment