Thursday 30 November 2017

So no more Nokia

Well it has been a long relationship but it’s over.

My flirtation with Nokia which has lasted for almost two decades has ended.

And I have to say that if there were one available from my phone supplier I would happily continue the tryst.

But alas not.

The acquisition of the first clockwork Nokia was more accident than a purposeful choice.

Back then I had little idea about make, specification or design.

You made a phone call agreed the price, the plan and didn’t even get a choice over the colour.

That said when that first Nokia arrived I was hooked.

I liked the design, the ease with which you could use it and above all if you dropped it, it just bounced.

Added to which it had a battery which lasted all day and into the next two, and it played Snake.

What more could you ask of it?

Nor did its successors disappoint me and when I finally made the switch to smart I continued to be very pleased.

But the last one creaks and doth protest, so I have moved on.

I did have a brief flirtation with another older Nokia which belonged to Simone and came from Italy but its battery was tired despite constant recharging and by then I could see the logic of a machine which did emails, social media and allowed you to find out the weather in Scunthorpe as well as Naples.

So that is it ........... a little bit of personal history, no more no less.  And bound between the four is pretty much the history of the pocket portable, communication device which would have made Dan Dare and Captain Kirk proud to have used one.

Pictures; Nokia phones circa 1998-2015 from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment