Friday 24 November 2017

So what did you do in Book Week?

Now I came late to writing and even now I don’t pretend it will ever pay the bills.

But like many I enjoy the challenge of staring at a blank screen and letting the words tumble out.

I don’t have a plan and pretty much just go with the flow, and I suspect were I to start the same piece on Wednesday instead of Tuesday it will go off in a different direction and be a totally different piece of work.

That said because what I write is factual there is a framework determined by the historical research and if it is a commission by the demands of the people who will pay me.

But even so, as we all know history is about interpretation and the emphasis my change over the course of the project and new evidence can alter the direction and the conclusion of the story.

A by product of the writing has been the blog which started as an outrageous act of self promotion as the first book was nearing completion and expanded to cover anything that took my fancy.

So, while the core is still focused on history it has become a vehicle to show off my photographs, and highlight events, galleries and museums.

And along the way it has also become a place where others can post their historical research along with their pictures.

All of which is why I so like the site The Moving Dragons Write, which began when a group of writers decided to work together. It arose from a writing school, became a blog and facebook site and has now published an anthology.

Like the blog it now gives people a chance to have their voice and to prove that simple observation that everyone has a story or a book waiting in the wings.

In the past that talent has not always been discovered or given an opportunity but social media, and self publishing now provide a platform, be it pictures, painting or writing.

Long may it continue.

Pictures; from the collection of Andrew Simpson







*The Moving Dragons Write, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1549881809/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_jsl.zbWCR4TAS

No comments:

Post a Comment