Wednesday 14 November 2018

Looking out from the Naval College ...... and all there is to see

I never quite feel at home in London until the train pulls over the river into Waterloo.

Now that may seem very parochial, but as a south east Londoner that is how it is.

And whenever I am home in Well Hall, there comes that moment when I gravitate down to the river.

For me it is usually Woolwich, but on a fine sunny day I have been known to wander into Greenwich.

As kids we would walk it, crossing the Heath and by degree walking the walk along the wide road through the park to the monument of General Wolfe and then down to the Maritime Museum.

Back then I never got a chance to walk around the Naval College, but Anastasia did and in the process took these two fine pictures which show off the building and more especially the changing landscape of “other side”.

It is a scene I don’t recognise but I parted company with Greenwich in 1973 when with just the price of a single railway ticket I confirmed my decision three years earlier to give Manchester a try.

And apart from occasional visits home, usually with the children to show them their roots and catch up with family my adopted city is where I have settled.

But Anastasia’s pictures, remind me of all those lessons on classical architecture and literature, where buildings balanced each other out and a poem with rhyming couplets did the same.

I could go on, but I won’t.

Location Greenwich

Pictures; Greenwich, 2018, from the collection of Anastasia Cathy Trotman

No comments:

Post a Comment