Thursday 8 November 2018

“Never take buildings for granted” ...... or what Andy saw at Chorlton Post Office

I doubt that there will be many who remember the three houses that occupied the site of what is now Chorlton Post Office.

They were destroyed during the Manchester Blitz in December 1940, and it would be another twenty years before the empty site was filled with our post office.

But few things stay exactly the same, and more recently the Post Office relinquished part of its building to Chris who ran the Post Office Cafe.

And since he moved onto new things the cafe is undergoing a transformation as Andy Robertson’s pictures show.

He was passing the place yesterday and took a series of photographs, commenting that having taken the picture I “got thinking that it is already like this new bit has always been there! 

Then I remembered I had taken a picture of the Post Office in December 2014. 

I have to say the earlier photograph was taken more by luck than design leaving me to reflect that  the moral of the tale is, don't take commonplace, familiar buildings for granted, get them photographed”.

And that is all I have to say.

Location; Chorlton Post Office

Pictures; Chorlton Post Office, November 2018 and December 2014, from the collection of Andy Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment