Sunday 15 October 2023

Rare photographs from our rural past ........ the Pippinhall Farm collection No.2 working the cows

Now when I lived In Well Hall I never knew of the existence of Pippinhall Farm.

It was on the southern side of Bexley Road almost opposite Glenesk Road and appears on the tithe map of the 1840s, and I have no doubt with a bit of digging I could get much further back in time.

It also features in a few of the books about Eltham which make reference to Mr Grace. “whose family farmed here in Victorian times and into the 20th century.”*

Now the Grace family were here by the June of 1841 but had originated in the Midlands.

Old Mr Grace may have been born in Nottinghamshire and his wife Ann Fryer in Leicestershire, but he had died in 1842 leaving Ann to bring up their four children.

I have written about the farm from time to time, but never got back to any serious research.

But now I think I must because my friend Tricia had made contact with one of the descendants of the family who in turn has kindly supplied some family photographs.

And so over the next few days I shall be posting pictures from the family album.
Each is a wonderful recreation of that lost rural past.

Location; Eltham

Pictures; from the Grace family album, courtesy of Irene Dudman

* Eltham A Pictorial History, John Kennett, 1995

No comments:

Post a Comment