Friday 13 October 2023

The picture postcard from a gentler time

Now long before the camera became the dominant way to reproduce an image for picture postcards, it was down to the artist to do the business.


And so here we have a painting of Giotto's bell tower in Florence.

I have no idea when the artist set about his work or when the picture post card company from Milan began reproducing it for tourists, but I do know that the tower was built between 1334 and 1359.

Now twenty-five years does seem a long time, but to be fair Giotto died in 1337 and there was that little disaster known as the Black Death.

And that is it.

I did go looking for my own pictures taken a few years ago, but alas I have misfiled them, leaving me just this picture postcard which Dad would have bought sometime in his travels working for Glenton Tours.

Location; Florence

Picture; Firenze Campanile di Giotto, date unknown from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment