Tuesday 3 October 2023

Number 73 Shude Hill sometime around 1984 ...... and the start of a story

Now I don’t remember number 73 Withy Grove and a full 40 years after John took this picture I doubt many will.

It comes from his 1980s collection of photographs of Manchester and Salford and is just the thing to start a story.*

In time I will trawl the street directories for the early 20th century and also ask my mate Andy Robertson to look up numbers 73 and 75 on his 1969 directory and then armed with names go off again to see what I can find.

In the meantime I will let you ponder on what replaced these two.

I know as well as John and Andy.

It is less a quiz and more just a bit of historical fun.

There are no prizes of course but just the pleasure in beating everyone else to the answer.

Location; Manchester

Picture; Withy Grove, Manchester circa 1984 from the collection of John Casey

*John Casey https://chorltonhistory.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/John%20Casey

6 comments:

  1. Was it the City Lock and Safe company on the ground floor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tram runs through them now.

    Colin

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first glance I would say it's Withy Grove Stores, but the windows are different?

    ReplyDelete
  4. At first glance I would say it's Withy Grove Stores, that shop that's never open. But the windows look different?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the corner of with grove and hanover st.avery scales co just visible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember it. My Dad worked for Avery Scales.

    ReplyDelete