Thursday 22 February 2024

Remembering Beech Road ….. 34 years on

Now this little booklet I remember well, and it is a perfect example of how history books come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

It was found by Marjorie in her attic, and dates from 1990.

We must have a copy, but I have yet to locate it.

The style will be familiar to anyone who has kids or has been involved in a class project which gets students to look at where they live.

In this case, Brookburn’s class three were set the task of recording the shops on Beech Road, and what was once topical is now history.

Of the 21 shops listed, only two remain.

On one level that shouldn’t surprise anyone, given that 34 years have passed since the survey was undertaken.

But I must confess that I was still surprised.

I knew all 21, shopped in most and while some I remember, others, have slipped completely from my memory.

So, the fun will be to revisit the booklet over the next few weeks, which for some of us will be renewing old friendships, but for many others will be a revelation in what once traded on Beech Road before the bar culture arrived.

At which point I note that the booklet contains a © to the school, but given that all our kids went to Brookburn as did Marjorie’s I don’t think the school will mind.

So, I shall await Marjorie’s copy, secure in the knowledge that there are lots more stories to come and close with a thank you to Marjorie.

Location; Chorlton

Pictures; Beech Road, A piece of Chorlton, By the Children of Brookburn School, Brookburn School, 1990

No comments:

Post a Comment