Friday 2 February 2024

On the corner of Manchester Road, thinking of a mattress and a pizza

So, every time I sit in Cromar, thinking about choosing a pizza or pasta, I often reflect on the mattress I bought when this was a furniture shop.

Wilbraham Road, 2020

Wilbraham Road, 1985
And that mattress will have made its way up from Coupe’s warehouse on Beech Road, which was in the former Wesleyan chapel,which is now Zitano, and which for a while employed a Polish pizza chef, who had been trained in Naples.

Small world really.


Location; Chorlton

Pictures; Cromar on the corner of Manchester Road and Wilbraham Road,  2020, from the collection of Andrew Simpson, and Wilbraham Road in 1985 courtesy of Tom McGrath


3 comments:

  1. M E Coupe was a iconic shop from Chorltons past we took my mother for a meal about 7years ago and indeed it was a strange feeling. Maybe a blog on shops is in order here’s my list Seymour Mead Johnson’s newsagents barbakan Quarmbys silcocks greengrocers Woolies Etchells where my sister bought the first book on Chorlton in the early seventies Timpsons Army and Navy Seal Bros greengrocers next to Fosters across the road from the first Tesco’s First pair of jet jeans hipster style Elliotts and lastly Richardson’s and Robson’s I know I’ve missed a few my memories are fading Regards Pele

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was another Coupes in didsbury. That’s now Several shops , a French patisserie which I hear is excellent, and a restaurant , maybe a third shop too.

    ReplyDelete