Thursday 15 February 2024

Walking Greenwich and Blackheath in the 1960s ....... Sandra's story

 I am a great fan of other peoples photographs.

And more so when they are of Greenwich and Blackheath in the 1960s. 

These are the places I knew when l was growing up in Eltham, with some going back even further  to when l lived  in Peckham.

Back then  the park, the heath and Queen Ann's House were the end of adventures which started on Queens Road and  by degree took me Jimmy O' Donnell and John Cox through New Cross, Deptford and finally to the River.

Aged ten we walked it there and back making heaps of discoveries. 

All of which came flooding back when Sandra shared these wonderful pictures taken by her dad. She told me "I just wondered whether you might like to see these old photos taken by my dad in the 1960s. 

They are of Blackheath Greenwich Park and Maidstone Hill Corner Shop SE 10, the road where my dad was born. 

The flats opposite. Bus going alongside Greenwich Park and the Heath. 


My dads name was Denis Lesley Roland Scales. 

He lived at 75 Maidstone Hill Greenwich SE10.

But he was born next door to the left I think that was 73, I don't know why but his Uncle Tom lived there.

There were 11 children in my dads family all living un that 2 bed house with their parents and a lodger too. 

I have photos of family standing at the door of 75 in the 60s. 

I can tell you more if you wish. 

No. 75 could be seen in an advert for Gas some years back. 

The Corner shop was where myself and all my cousins went to and then of course up to the Point to play. I will look out the photos later. 

I belong to two groups where I've shown these photos before some time ago.

Bermondsey & Rotherhithe and also Growing up in Bermondsey & Rotherhithe in the 50s 60 70s. 

Thanks for wanting to put my dads name to the photos. 

It's 50 years this year that we lost him and he would have been 100 this April".


And that is it, I don't really think I need to add any more, other than to thank Sandra for sharing these images of a London I knew and which has brought back lots of warm memories.

Leaving me to say there will be a part two tomorrow.

Location, Blackheath, Greenwich and Woolwich

Pictures; of my bit of southeast London, circa 1960s, taken by Denis Lesley Roland Scales, courtesy of Sandra Harper 


2 comments:

  1. A tribute to my dad from days long gone and with treasured memories of where I grew up in the 1960s

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Maidenstone Hill , NOT Maidstone Hill

    ReplyDelete