Wednesday 11 September 2019

Apologies Stretford …………………

Now along with apologizing to Stretford, I should also tender equal apologies to St Matthews parish church and to Stretford Cemetery.


It was Bill Sumner who gently pointed out my mistake which was to confuse St Matthews with the Chapel of Rest in Stretford Cemetery.

Way back in 1979 I had wandered on to the Meadows, followed the course of Chorlton Brook and then took the north bank of the Mersey round and discovered the weir, which had been built in the late 18th century and rebuilt in the 1840s.

Its purpose was to break the force of flood water from the river and channel it across open land to the Kickety Brook, and in that way protect the viaduct carrying the Duke’s Canal.

On a very dry summer the land in front of the weir was used for grazing cows, and on that hot summer’s day in 1979, that is what I saw, and just assumed the church in the background was St Mathews, which of course was lazy of me, because as Bill pointed out, “St Matthews Church does not have a spire, the Cemetery Chapel at Stretford is in your photo. 

I leave you with an old photo of St Matts and a bit of history... caught you with your pants down on this one”.

And yes, he did ……………. and yes, it is the one in Stretford Cemetery.

So, trousers down, egg on my face, and a thank you to Bill for rescuing me from making that mistake again.

Leaving me just to revisit the cows, which are cows ....... I think.

Location; by the weir behind the river, looking towards Stretford Cemetery.

Picture; by the weir behind the river, looking towards Stretford Cemetery, 1979, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

No comments:

Post a Comment