Tuesday 10 September 2019

What was lost is found …………… the memorial from the "European War"

Now I like the way that a full century and a bit after the end of the Great War, memorials to those who participated, can turn up long after it was thought they were lost.

And so, I was quite excited when James Manley contacted me asking, “I wonder if you could provide some advice to help me to locate a suitable home for this commemorative plaque that I recovered from being thrown away. 
I’ve had it for over 10 years but think that it should maybe be displayed somewhere.   The building that it came has been demolished 'Ancoats and Ashton Road Midland Railway'”.    

Quick as a flash my old friend David Harrop commented “James I would be delighted to house it in my commemorative exhibition at Manchester Southern Cemetery”

David has an extensive collection of memorabilia from both world wars, some of which is on permanent display at the Remembrance Lodge at Southern Cemetery.

It would be a fitting place for the memorial to be displayed and allow people like me to research the men who are commemorated on the plaque, and in the process focus again on the sacrifice they made.

Location; Manchester

Picture; Roll of Honour, from 'Ancoats and Ashton Road Midland Railway', 2019, courtesy of James Manley

No comments:

Post a Comment