Saturday 21 October 2023

Lost Woolwich .......... no 3 relaxing in the allotments 1905

Now of all the places I knew in my youth I have to say Woolwich is one of those that has  undergone some of the most radical change.

So much so that big chunks of it I have difficulty recognising.

The Arsenal, Powis Street and even the old Pie and Mash shop were as familiar to me as they were to generations of people who grew up in Woolwich and are now just distant memories.

So with that in mind I have returned to images of a time before now.

This one is dated 1905.

I doubt I will ever know who these three men were or exactly what each grew on his allotments.

But it is a fine picture taken on a sunny day over a century ago

Picture; from Woolwich Through Time, Kristina Bedford, Amberley 2014

3 comments:

  1. How do you know this photo is taken in Woolwich? Where were the allotments as no address is given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello unknown, the exact location is unknown to me but the image and location are cited by Kristina Bedford in her book from Woolwich Through Time, , Amberley 2014. I am now intrugied by question and I will go looking in the various maps and guidebooks to Woolwich from the collection

    ReplyDelete
  3. The allotments were at the top of frances Street opposite ogilby Street where red barracks estate is now

    ReplyDelete