Wednesday 7 June 2023

So no more the second hand shops of Chorlton ......

If you can remember a time before the Chorlton bar culture, you will be able to name at least one of our second hand shops.

Back in the 1970s there was Ken’s on Beech Road, the Green House on Stockton and later Doc’s Second Hand Emporium on Barlow Moor Road.

The idea of recycling clothes, furniture and pretty much anything is not new, and a century ago in the Flat Iron Market in Salford and similar ones in Ancoats, you could pick up a pair of clogs, or a used pair of men’s trousers for a song.

Today you still can, but the objects tend to be in charity shops and depending on the shop they can be quite “up market things”.

So here for those who remember those shops with their musty smell and heap of surprises is Doc’s.

I can’t remember when I took the picture, but it will be the mid 1980s and perhaps even later.

And no sooner was this posted than Marion commented,"how about Jack a Lilie's on Beech Road?" which I confess I had forgotten and more of an admission as I regularly pass the time of day with Lilly at the bus stop.

Location; Chorlton

Picture; Doc’s Second Hand Emporium on Barlow Moor Road, circa 1986, from the collection of Andrew Simpson

7 comments:

  1. I remember Just A Second on Barlow Moor Rd late 70’s, few doors down from Betty & Butch..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure this is far more recent than the 1980s. "Doc" now does his thing on Longsight market. I always get the impression that he hates my guts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No later than early 1990s l took the image

      Delete
    2. Before it was Doc's it was called "Second Hand In The Extreme". I didn't realise what this meant until I paid by cheque and the guy there stamped it S.H.I.T.E.

      Delete
    3. The S.H.I.T.E. Guy1 October 2023 at 21:39

      Thank you for remembering my shop .

      Delete
  3. Lovely sign graphics, enticing window display on this bijou boutique - who could resist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember a "junk shop" on a corner,possibly Maple Ave,where there has recently been a mobility place?
    It had loads of stuff piled up in the space to the right outside.I still have a couple of things I bought there in abt 1997/8.
    Then there was Bus Stop Curios on the corner of Beech Road.
    Also,I bought a bike from Doc's which is currently malingering in my Mum's shed.

    ReplyDelete