Thursday 17 August 2023

The city over the river ………….

Now yesterday I posted a story of Greenwich Park and the view from the hill across the River.

And it prompted Douglas White to post one of his which he gave me permission to use.  It is as he says, “One of many views from Severndroog Castle on Shooter's Hill. 

Not quite a 360 degree due to trees behind taller than the tower, but a zoom lens will bring the city, Docklands, the west end into view, and far to the west (out of picture) Windsor Castle looms as a shadow on the horizon”.

I still remember looking out from both locations at the city over the river.

Back in the 1960s, I had no camera to record the scene, and now I live in the far north and do not regularly get home.

But there will be someone who does have those pictures of the very different skyline and may choose to share them. 

I can still remember the first time I saw the view from Shooters Hill at night.  

I was visiting Mr. Vaughan who was my science teacher at Samuel Pepys, who I hoped would help me with a few textbooks to assist my retake of O level Science.

By then I had left the school in New Cross for the much grander Crown Woods and the promise of A levels, but my failure at getting Maths or Science GCE, doomed me to a resit.

Until the visit to Mr. Vaughan I had never seen the city lit up at night from Shooters Hill.

And 55 years later it is still as vivid.

So I thank Douglas and John for reuniting me with that memory.

And for all those who also remember the scene 55 years ago I shall just say “compare and contrast”

Location; Eltham

Picture; looking out from Shooters Hill, 2020 from the collection of Douglas White


No comments:

Post a Comment