Saturday 30 December 2023

On Shooters Hill ………………… with We Anchor in Hope

Now I have no memory of the pub We Anchor in Hope.

But then when I roamed over the woods and down Shooter’s Hill and on to Welling, I was still well under the age when “dirty beer” was an attraction.

Still I am very pleased that Brian sent this picture over this morning, because it captures perfectly this stretch of the old road as I remember it.

The picture postcard is undated, but I am guessing we will be sometime in the late 1940s into the following decade and a bit.

That said there will be an expert on London buses who will be able to offer up chapter and verse on the date this one plied its route.

As to the pub, here too I am out of my comfort zone and a trawl of my limited London directories has yet to turn up any information.

Still, I am pleased to say it is still there today and is part of the Green King chain which manages many of the pubs I have researched and written about.

There will be those who are sniffy about such chains, advancing ever the cause of the independent brewery or landlord.

Which just leaves me to thank Brian,  appeal for more information, and point out before someone does that We Anchor in Hope is actually at 320 Bellgrove Road, Welling, DA16 3 RW

And to add this is  a fine shot of the old road climbing west.

And quick as a flash, Brian having read the story of his picture postcard, added a link to a bit more background.

But as ever I shall not lift someone else's research and instead just point you to the link.**


Location Welling

Picture; Shooters Hill, Welling, Kent, date unknown, from the collection of Brian Norbury

* We Anchor in Hope,  https://www.greeneking-pubs.co.uk/pubs/kent/we-anchor-in-hope/

**We Anchor in Hope, Belle Grove Road, East Wickham, Welling, https://pubwiki.co.uk/KentPubs/EastWickham/AnchorinHope.shtml

9 comments:

  1. I attended a tipping over a pile of pennies event at the Welling pub in 1961.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was Tessy O'Shea i was there as well age 6. My parents and brother were in the darts teams at We Anchor in Hope and i used to go upstairs with the children of the family that ran it such good memories

      Delete
    2. It was Tessy O'Shea i was there age 6. My parents and brother were in the darts team at the Anchor and i used to go upstairs with the children of the family that ran it. Great memories

      Delete
  2. Interesting memory provoking photo. It reminds me of attending a firework display on/near the co-op farm just up from the pub c1950. We lived on the Rochester Way, near Deansfield School and walked to see the fireworks. The event was opened by, I think, Tessy O'Shea, carried in shoulder high. I was about 6ish. The co-op farm had pigs and the Woolwich council collect, door to door, food waste to feed the pigs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked here in late 1960s the landlord was Mr Lines I think. Bank Holiday Sundays coaches would stop on way back from Margate. It was a busy pub. I briefly dated the son of the pig farmer next door!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived just across the road in Oxleas close, I used to clean cars in the car park as a youngster. It was my local for 4/5 years. Great pub and the landlord was nice guy, I think his name was Bill. that was in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I met my wife in there in Jan 1979 when I had just got back from woking in North africa.

      Delete
  4. I lived up the top of the hill opposite The Bull public house and got my first speeding ticket just about where the photographer was standing. There used to be a petrol station just before the pub that gave Green Shield stamps and if you were nice to the young lady on the til she would give you loads of them.😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I worked at the Garage in 1972 for a couple weeks having just left school. My uncle was a friend with the owner. So I became a petrol pump attendant sitting alone in a small kiosk. A gallon of 4 star was 34p and we did give Green Shield stamps. I then got a job in Westminster and was soon able to cycle to work over Shooters Hill. I also have had quite few beers in the Anchor and Hope.

      Delete
    2. You must have worked for Len Sands who lived across the road in Oxleas close. I used to buy Cig's in there as a kid and I bought a vauxhall viva van (bedford) from him with a blown engine and then he sold me a holbay 1725 engine from a crashed car down the back. I went to Welling about 20 years ago and the garage was looking very posh. I also lived in Oxleas close with mum and dad at the time 1966-1972.

      Delete