Monday 29 May 2023

A history of Didsbury in just 20 objects no. 5...... the tithe map

Today I went walking the lanes of East Didsbury in the summer of 1845.

Now as daft as that might sound it is possible to recreate such a walk using the census returns, the OS map for the period and the tithe documents.

And it is the tithe document and more especially the tithe map which has helped me with this imaginary stroll along the Wilmslow Road, past Parrs Wood House and on to the parish church, the village green and the two pubs.

It was based on a survey undertaken by Mr. J Tinker of Hyde in the February of 1845, and details the ownership of the land, the tenants who worked it, and the use the land was put to, as well as the size of each field and its rateable value, along with who owned or rented the properties spread out across the township.

So armed with the map I know that as I made my way along Wilmslow Road I would have passed a mix of meadow and arable land, with the odd little orchard before reaching the village green which had yet to be enclosed by Mr. Bethell as his own personal garden in front of his pub.



 And then if I so chose, I could have wandered off west across the township, all the way to the border with Chorlton.

Later I may return with stories of some of the people who lived along Wilmslow Road, but that will be for another time.

Leaving me just to explain that the numbers on the map refer to an entry in the  schedule which listed the owners of each parcel of land, and properties, the names of the tenants, and the values of the land as well as the use it was put to.

Location; Didsbury

Picture; detail of the 1845 tithe map for East Didsbury part of the tithe survey, undertaken,in 1845, by Mr. Tinker, Joseph Townsend, and Charles Robert Brandy and redrawn by Frank and Teretta Mitchell, 1978





No comments:

Post a Comment